Looking for one of the best natural remedies for your little one? Essential Oils may be able to help with your child’s croup, but first, you should know how to use them! Let’s read about what else you can do from this article. Croup is a condition where swollen and inflamed air sacs in the back of your child’s throat produce mucus. Minor croup is usually a temporary condition that usually clears up on its own, while croup can be a serious medical issue resulting in dehydration, decreased blood flow to the lungs, and even death if it becomes severe. Croup is seen most frequently in infants less than 12 months old, but it occurs among children of all ages. Some children have only minor croup, and some have episodes of more severe croup that require emergency medical intervention.
You may also like:
Croup can be caused by a variety of different things, including viruses and bacteria that are present in the mouth and throat of an infant. However, the most common cause is because of mucus buildup in the back of the child’s windpipe. These mucus build-ups can be triggered by changes in temperature or infection. One thing you should know about croup is that there are two types of this condition: minor croup (also known as acute croup) and croup (also known as chronic).
Best Essential Oils For Croup In Children:
1. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Croup is most often caused by viral infections that result in excess mucus production all over the body, so eucalyptus is an excellent choice. This essential oil can help get rid of the excess mucus while at the same time helping clear up your child’s congestion and cough.
2. Peppermint Essential Oil
Like eucalyptus, peppermint oil is a great option to help your child breathe easier by relieving nasal congestion and chest tightness. It also has invigorating and cool properties that can help ease the overall discomfort that a child may experience when suffering from croup.
3. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is a wonderful option to help a child who is suffering from croup improve his or her breathing. If you rub this oil on your child’s chest, you may notice an immediate improvement in the quality of your child’s breathing and even increased sleepiness.
4. Thyme Essential Oil
This essential oil can be very helpful in getting rid of excess mucus, especially if it has accumulated around the nasal passage. Just like peppermint and eucalyptus, thyme helps you clear out your nasal passages so that you can breathe easily once again!
5. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil also helps reduce excess mucus production. It can also help your child relax and become more comfortable. This essential oil is very calming and can help your child sleep better. It has a wonderful, relaxing scent that your child may enjoy throughout the night.
6. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
Because ylang-ylang essential oil is warm and energizing, it can help many children to stay alert during school, especially if they have been suffering from cold symptoms or croup. Basil’s beautiful aroma allows it to be used throughout the home and at school.
7. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree essential oil is especially helpful for fighting bacteria that can often be responsible for croup. If your child is suffering from severe croup, these essential oils can help fight off the infection that is causing your child’s croup.
Benefits Of Essential Oils Used For Croup:
1) Stops Croup – Many essential oils have anti-inflammatory properties that can help to reduce the swelling and congestion that are often associated with croup.
2) Relieves Tummy Ache – Some children find that essential oils help relieve their stomach aches. This essential oil can be used for both adults and children, in general.
3) Aromatherapy – Essential oils are natural remedies that are often used by massage therapists and nurses to boost the immune system of their patients and improve overall health.
4) Decongestant – By relieving nasal congestion, you can breathe easier. This is especially helpful for those who have an excess amount of thick mucus in the nasal passages. Most of the essential oils on this list are known for their decongestant abilities. Some, such as tea tree oil, can help reduce the swelling and inflammation in your child’s sinuses.
5) Restorative – Many essential oils have relaxing and sedative properties that can lead to better sleep. This is especially helpful for those who have been constantly coughing throughout the night or have had difficulty getting to sleep due to croup.
6) Relieves Sore Throats – Many essential oils can help relieve sore throats, including eucalyptus, thyme, peppermint, and more.
7) Clears Sinuses – Essential oils can be used as an essential part of a vaporizer or humidifier to clear and vaporize the mucus buildup in your child’s sinuses and lungs.
You may also like:
DIY Recipes Of Essential Oils For Croup:
Recipe 1: Diffuser For Relief From Croup
- 6 drops of eucalyptus oil,
- 6 drops of peppermint oil,
- 1 drop of thyme oil, and
- 1 drop of rosemary oil.
- Combine baking soda and essential oils in a bowl.
- Put this mixture in your diffuser and turn it on.
- Place your diffuser next to your child’s bed so that he or she can inhale the wonderful fragrance of these oils while they sleep.
Recipe 2: Cleansing For Croup
- 10 drops of eucalyptus oil,
- 10 drops of peppermint oil,
- 5 drops of lavender oil, and
- 2 drops of rosemary oil.
- Mix equal parts of all the oils in a glass bowl. Mix until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Apply this mixture to your child’s chest as well as his or her throat. Allow him or her to inhale this wonderful smell while he sleeps. You might want to put this mask on at night or overnight and do it in the morning if your child has been crying through the night due to croup.
Recipe 3: Cooling Spray For Croup
- 1-ounce rubbing alcohol,
- 3.5 ounces of distilled water,
- 10 drops of eucalyptus oil, and
- 10 drops of peppermint oil.
- Add all ingredients to a spray bottle and shake well until the ingredients are completely blended.
- Spray this mixture liberally on your child’s neck and chest to allow your child to breathe easier while he or she sleeps or rests throughout the day.
1) What precautions should be taken before taking essential oils for croup?
Before you take any essential oils, it is important to first check the expiry date on the bottle. Essential oils are safe for up to 4 years. However, you should use the recommended drops per 1 ml of oil. Some of them may contain more than the recommended amount of drops, so always double-check before using them.
2) What should be done when taking essential oils for croup?
Take essential oils orally by mixing them with a small amount of juice (e.g., orange or apple juice) or honey in a bowl before giving it to your child, or put a small amount of this mixture on your child’s chest as well as his or her throat area while he sleeps or rests in bed.