Essential oils are among the most powerful tools available for managing ADHD. Essential oils in particular are powerful tools for managing a wide range of symptoms associated with ADHD. They can be used to help regulate mood, manage anxiety, promote relaxation, and enhance focus. Additives and prescription medications are not the only solutions for ADHD management. There is growing evidence that some of the additives found in prescriptions can cause more damage than good. Added to this, some of the additives can become addictive and over-prescription can lead to drug abuse or addiction. This is why essential oils are a good alternative for managing ADHD symptoms. You get natural solutions from a natural product. Essential Oils come from plant matter such as lemons, sage, basil, rosemary and so many more. They contain a vast array of nutrients found in plants including powerful antioxidants that cleanse and purify your bloodstream. Using essential oils is also an effective way to reduce stress-related symptoms including depression, anger, frustration, and restlessness.
You may like this also:
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a behavioral disorder that is typically diagnosed during childhood. It often persists into adulthood and can affect your relationships, school, and work performance, as well as your overall well-being. Symptoms of ADHD range from mild to severe. Inattention and hyperactivity-impulsivity can lead to problems in school, poor performance at work, or problems relating to family and friends. ADHD occurs in all cultures. One in 10 children and adolescents in the United States (4-17 years of age) has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Boys are more than three times more likely than girls to have the disorder.
Best Essential Oils For ADHD
1. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil is known to help with anxiety, stress, insomnia, and depression. It can also promote focus, reduce appetite and improve digestion. Your brain may be lacking in the production of certain neurotransmitters that take place during sleep cycles and you may have muscle tension. The lemon essential oil will encourage a restful sleep cycle by clearing brain tension and relaxing muscles.
2. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is useful for mental clarity, mental fatigue, and feelings of overwhelm. It is an excellent way to clear your mind allowing you to concentrate more easily on your tasks at hand. If you are suffering from depression, or PTSD, lavender has been known to relieve symptoms of these conditions as well.
3. Peppermint Essential Oil
Do you have trouble focusing? Are you extremely restless? Peppermint essential oil is great at regulating your mind and body so you can rest and focus easier. This plant is also a powerful analgesic. If you have any sort of muscle pain or joint pain, this is the right essential oil for you. You can use it on your temples for headaches as well as a massage oil after an intense workout session. The scent is also very pleasant so you can generally enjoy the aroma in a diffuser to help promote relaxation and calmness in the home or office environment.
4. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is a powerful antiseptic that can be used for its ability to break up congestion. It has also been shown to help relieve anxiety, stress, and depression. You can use it for steam inhalation or rub it on the chest area to aid in a cold or flu as well.
5. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme essential oil can help with pain relief and also boost concentration by increasing alertness during study periods or work sessions. This is one strong essential oil so wear protective gloves when applying it since it is high in thymol that can sometimes irritate the skin if not diluted correctly.
6. Basil Essential Oil
Basil essential oil is known to be a great way to manage stress, improve concentration and promote mental clarity. It can help reduce eye strain and also act as an antiviral for the body. It has a fresh aroma that aromatically soothes the mind and promotes relaxation.
7. Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile essential oil is known to help with anxiety, depression, insomnia, and ADHD/ADD. It helps restore the nervous system, calming overactive nerves and also helps with muscle tension as well as mood disorders. Make sure you are using the chamomile blue or yellow varieties in your blends since they are stronger than white chamomile.
Benefits Of Using Essential Oils For ADHD:
1) Essential oils are easy to apply and they are safe for children to use.
2) Essential oils are versatile and can be used in many different ways, including massage, inhalation, diffusion, topical application, and more. You can use them safely on children.
3) Research has shown that essential oils have analgesic properties that can help manage pain.
4) Essential oils are self-preserving due to the chemical structure of their molecules, so they do not need preservatives or stabilizers. Thus, they have an extremely long shelf life and will not spoil. They are shelf stable at room temperature in dark bottles. The essential oils that are most likely to spoil are citrus essential oils due to light sensitivity.
5) As previously stated, essential oils have a very long shelf life because they contain natural preservative components of plants themselves within their chemical structure.
You may like this also:
DIY Essential Oil Recipe For ADHD:
Recipe 1: Oil Massage For Relief
- 4 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 4 drops of lavender essential oil
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Mix the oils in a small bowl.
- Then apply to arms and feet.
- Massage for about 5 minutes.
Recipe 2: Diffuser For Focus
- 10 drops of basil oil
- 3 drops of thyme oil
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and place them in a diffuser.
- Let the mixture sit for 3 to 4 hours before you turn on your diffuser for about 30 minutes.
Recipe 3: Inhalation For Focus
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 drops of rosemary essential oil
- Put 5-6 drops of essential oil into boiling water and inhale the steam with a towel over your head to protect your sinuses from the steam.
- Breathe deeply for about 5 minutes for immediate results.
1) How do you mix essential oils for ADHD?
Essential oils do not need to be diluted before using them. For children under the age of six, it is recommended that oils are applied undiluted to the feet or scalp, diluted for use on their arms, and used with caution on their chests. Before applying any essential oil to a child, it is important to consult a specialist to avoid any negative reactions.
2) Do essential oils work for ADHD?
You will have to use them for about two weeks before you can see any real results. After using essential oils for a couple of weeks, you may begin to notice that your child is more focused and responsive at home or in school. If your child has been diagnosed with ADHD, you may notice that they are less distracted while they are completing their work or tasks at school. You can be patient and positive during this period as this is when your child’s brain will be working best. (For children who are under the age of six, you may notice positive results immediately.