Those long, fragile, and piercing mouthparts are always annoying, irritating, and painful, offering some major infections like dengue, chikungunya, malaria, and many more. Therefore, to get protected from these black and voracious insects, we all rely on various commercial bug sprays, colls, and more. But, do you know there is also a natural, safe and effective way to get rid of these indescribable nasty creatures? Therefore, to make things easy we have brought highlighted a highly effective remedy to get rid of these pesky mosquitoes. Using Citronella essential oil for mosquitoes is one such natural way, which has proven to be highly effective in dealing with all such issues. In this blog, we have closely discussed why citronella oil is the best essential oil for mosquitoes and how to bring it into your daily uses, by following easy and prominent DIYs and getting you and your family protected from the mosquitoes and their after-bite effects.
How Is Citronella Essential Oil Derived?
Citronella essential oil is made from the tall grass’s stem and leaves using the steam distillation process. It is frequently mistaken for lemongrass since they both belong to the Cymbopogon plant family, and have a similar appearance, processing technique, and growth. Lemongrass has white pseudostems, while citronella has red ones, making this difference the easiest to spot. When it comes to its special qualities and aroma, citronella oil is renowned for its potent, revitalizing aroma as well as its anti-bacterial and antispasmodic capabilities, which make it a popular choice for an effective insect repellent. This yellowish brown with a strong citrus aroma is also rich in geraniol, citronellol, and citronellal. Because of this, it is one of the most widely chosen ingredients in a variety of skincare products, candles, and soaps. disinfectants, painkillers, and other things. It’s also the safest choice a person can make because it has no chemicals that could hurt a child’s or adult’s skin. Things don’t stop with explaining this top essential oil; continue reading to see what makes citronella oil so exceptional and about its wonderful benefits.
Benefits Of Using Citronella Oil As An Insect Repellent
Pure citronella oil has numerous other uses outside serving as an excellent insect repellent, including promoting good skin, hair, respiratory health, pain treatment, and many others. A person’s life is always made easier and better at the same time thanks to its special nutrients and qualities. Therefore, it’s time to switch to a better and more natural cure if you’re the one being plagued by these obnoxious and vicious insects.
You may also like:
Does citronella oil repel mosquitoes? To find this answer, let’s cover citronella oil in depth by discussing some of its amazing benefits, which make it the best essential oil for mosquitoes.
● Treats Skin Conditions
Organic citronella oil is enriched with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which help in wound healing caused by the insect bite. Like, this natural disinfectant helps in reducing inflammation, swelling, redness, and irritation caused by insect bites. It also keeps the skin protected from bacteria and germs, which can lead to fungal infections. Even if you are going through skin disorders like warts or acne, you can get protected using citronella oil for the skin.
● Natural Insect Repellent
Citronella oil repels mosquitoes, they don’t kill them, and can mask the carbon dioxide and lactic acid that mosquitoes attract, which makes the mosquito find it a lot harder to locate you. Though it works for 20-30 minutes which is less than DEET, it is considered to be the safest and most natural way to get rid of mosquitoes and other insect bites. Its natural composition also protects the texture of the skin keeping it healthy.
● Act As A Pain Reliever
Citronella oil is one of the best essential oils used for treating pain, as its antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties instantly act upon the affected area and provide healing. It’s proven that citronella oil can be effectively used to treat muscle cramps, rheumatism, and any other pain. The pain, redness, swelling, infection, and marks that appeared from insect bites can be easily treated using this best essential oil for mosquitoes.
● Treating Infection
Known as citronella oil is a natural disinfectant as it has the capability of healing the infected area caused by cuts and wounds. Its antiseptic and antifungal properties with richness in limonene, Methyl isoeugenol, prevent the growth of harmful bacteria and germs on wounded areas, making the skin layer protected from further infection.
Other than citronella oil being an excellent insect repellant, this plant-extracted oil also has other amazing benefits. It can be used for improving respiratory health like coughing, and congestion, promoting a healthy and moisturized scalp, reducing dandruff, relaxing the mind, and many more. So, availing of this best essential oil for mosquitoes and other therapeutic purposes is a must. Try citronella oil combining it with other products like essential oils, and coconut oil, and get the desired result you wish to experience.
How To Use Citronella Oil For Mosquitoes- DIYs
Citronella oil can be used in various ways to treat mosquitoes. From using it in a diffuser to massage creams, and oils to bug-free spray, citronella oil can be modified and used as per individual preference. The best part is that its versatility has made citronella oil blend with almost every other essential oil. So, in this section, we have listed different ways, where you can use citronella oil to repel mosquitoes. So choose what suits the best and get rid of these pesky and annoying insect bites.
Recipe 1: Diffuser Blend Using Citronella Oil For Mosquitoes
- 2 drops of Citronella essential oil
- 2 drops of Peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops of Grapefruit essential oil
- 3 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 2 drops of Patchouli essential oil
- 1 drop of Geranium essential oil
- You can choose any of the recipes and fill your diffuser with the machine’s suggested water, and add drops of essential oils.
- Activate your insect repellent oil blend and start reaping its benefits.
Recipe 2: Massage Cream Using Citronella Oil For Mosquitoes
- 1/2 Cup Of Soft Coconut Oil
- 10 Drops Of Citronella Essential Oil
- 10 Drops Of Geranium Essential Oil
- 10 Drops Of Lavender Essential Oil
- Soft coconut oil should be poured into a clean mason jar halfway, followed by precise amounts of essential oils.
- To thoroughly combine the contents, close the lid and shake the container vigorously.
- To let the flavors merge, place the jar in the refrigerator for at least two hours overnight.
- Now that you’ve applied mosquito repellent lotion to all of your exposed skin areas, you can keep those bothersome creatures at bay. Reapply if necessary.
Recipe 3: Bug Repellent Spray Using Citronella Oil For Mosquitoes
- 1/4 Cup Of Witch Hazel Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Of Distilled Water
- 15 Drops Of Lemon Essential Oil
- 15 Drops Of Citronella Essential Oil
- Mix all the ingredients halfway in a clean spray bottle.
- Place the cap on the container and shake briskly to evenly combine the contents.
- You might immediately ward off mosquitoes by spraying the area.
- To prevent irritability, keep the spray away from your mouth, eyes, and nasal passages. Reapply after every hour for effective results.
Things To Keep In Mind Before Citronella Essential Oil For Mosquitoes
1. Always test your skin first before applying citronella oil to it. For this, you can mix one drop of essential oil with four drops of carrier oil, then apply a few drops to a patch of skin that isn’t particularly sensitive, like the back of the elbow, while keeping an eye out for any allergic reactions. If this is the case, stop using it right away and see your doctor.
2. Always make sure the essential oils you buy are USDA-certified.
3. Citronella oil is also used for external purposes, and never tends to consume essential oils.
4. It is strongly recommended that pregnant and nursing women refrain from using citronella oil without first consulting a doctor because it may affect some hormone secretions and it is not known whether these effects will be passed on to developing infants.
5. Keep this away from pets and children under the age of 7, as their toxicity risk is increased.
Try citronella if you’re seeking a healthy, useful, and adaptable essential oil! This essential oil can be useful during treks, strolls, park days, starry nights, and even backyard barbecues with the family. In addition to being useful for cleaning the home and serving as a mosquito repellent, it can benefit the health of the skin and hair. This essential oil has a plethora of uses and advantages, which makes it the best essential oil for mosquitoes and other healing purposes. We are sure, knowing you are feeling, to make your bug-free spray or lotion using Citronella essential oil for mosquito bites. Get you and your family protected with pure and organic citronella essential oils and be protected.
You may also like:
1. Why do mosquitoes flee when citronella is present?
Mosquitoes are drawn to human odors like lactic acid and carbon dioxide. The antennae of the female have receptors for these substances. Citronella’s chemical constituents block these receptors, preventing the afflicted mosquito from detecting the host attractants. Citronella just reduces mosquitoes’ attraction to humans; it does not truly repel mosquitoes in the traditional sense of the word.
2. Can I use citronella oil for the skin?
Yes, we can use citronella oil for the skin. It has some active nutrients and properties like anti-inflammatory and antibacterial which promote healthy and glowing skin when used consistently.
3. Where can the best quality essential oil be available in the market?
Moksha Lifestyle is already well-known for its extensive collection of high-quality therapeutic essential oils. They offer a wider selection of products. Their oils are 100 percent pure; they don’t employ any synthetic additives or perfumes. They provide the greatest quality at the most affordable prices. So start exploring it now and get these therapeutic oils delivered to your home right away.